Projected 1st Grade Curriculum

Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Day in the Life


Not Back to School Blog Hop

I've been wanting to participate in the NOT Back-to-School Blog Hop on Heart of the Matter. I didn't get my act together in time to link up to the first 3 weeks, but better late than never, right? So here goes...

We are just getting going in our homeschool. I have a bad history of creating unrealistic schedules for myself. So right now we're just trying to be flexible but still maintain a routine.

I have early risers and I, myself, am so NOT a morning person! Luckily my sweet, sweet husband gets up with the kids most mornings. They are up at 6:30 and do breakfast together.

When he leaves I get up and fill in the nutritional cracks. {Basically a morning snack, or breakfast #2}. Then I have Marshall get dressed and brush his teeth by himself while I get our toddler, Coen ready for the day. If the house needs a disaster clean-up, I do it now so that our "school room" {aka living room} is free of distractions. If I needed to focus in college, I needed the house clean first!

Between 9:00 and 10:00 we are ready to start our day. We begin with family prayer and scripture reading. This will grow to include the memorization of our Primary's {children's organization} theme and scripture for the month. We also work on 2 of the children's hymns from our church's children's songbook.

Right after our morning "devotional" time, if you will, we have math. My son loves math and with a toddler around I need to keep it moving or Marshall will get distracted. Math is an easy next step to our day.

After math we have lunch, and sometimes I let Marshall watch a tv show while I get it ready. If it has been a rough morning, I'll use a tv show at this time as a bribe {I know, I know}.

The boys usually run around playing after lunch. It wears Coen out for naptime and keeps them both entertained while I clean up. Coen will go down about 12:30-1:00 most days.

Next up for me and Marshall is the dreaded reading and phonics. This is the hardest part of our day by far. He wiggles and squirms, complaining the whole time which just draws out the instruction time. Ugh! Even with the fun unit study coming next, he just fights me on this.

Like I said, next comes our unit study. We begin by reading several books then we do some lapbook pieces, worksheets I have printed off, and usually and art & craft project. Usually Coen wakes up at some point during this and is able to get his hands on some paint or other project, too. This is an easy thing to incorporate him into.

After Marshall is done we clean up, I get dinner ready, and Daddy comes home to see what we've done! Our read-a-loud time is done in bed at night.

So far, that's what we have found works for us. As we go I hope to include more into our day, but for now it's a good starting framework to build around.

3 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Sounds like a nice, relaxed schedule!

Stephanie said...

I have a kindergartener too, and we were working through 100 EZ lessons, but after awhile they became more frustrating. I backed off a month or so and then started back with Explode the code (at the beginning of it) and the I Can Read It series and he's flying through it and loves it. Sounds like you're doing great! Thanks for sharing your day.

S Club Mama said...

it's a reward, not bribe. I do the same with my older son.